Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lalbagh

Yesterday I went to Lalbagh. Our driver took me over there and I hopped out of the car and went to see the grounds of the lovely botanical garden. Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the flowers. I was expecting a beautiful rose garden, because I had heard there was one, as well as other flowers and plants. I guess I haven't spent enough time out in the city to actually understand that everything is dusty. The plants that were, I'm sure, a vibrant green were dulled by the dust that had coated them. They were still pretty. The flowers, I think, were at their peak about a month ago. I did not feel as though any pictures I took could have made them look better than they were. I did see some that were nice and almost took a picture, but then I became distracted by the huge dragonflies and the blue bees. At least, I think they were bees. As soon as I raised my camera to take a picture of them a few birds flew close to the flowers which caused all the insects to scatter. Ah well. Perhaps I will see them again.


I walked through an area that had at its entrance two tall wire giraffes. Along the drive were other animals: a heron, a cow, a pig, etc. I walked through this area that appeared to have shaped trees and other bushes and after I had seen almost all of the creations, I realized that the wire animals at the entrance were one day going to be bush animals, once the trees or plants had fully grown. I thought that was pretty neat.



I also saw a monkey! I was walking along the path by the water and was passing under trees that had unusual looking pods (another picture down below) hanging from them and enjoying corn on the cob ahead of me was a cute little monkey! I got out my camera to take a picture of him on the fence and he jumped up into the tree. He finally rested in a branch out of the way of the people around to enjoy his corn in peace. He may have stolen it from the vendor down the path who was roasting corn for the locals. I've only seen monkeys at the zoo so I thought it was really cool. I asked the driver about it on the way back and he said there are a lot of monkeys there... I'm glad I was able to see one.


The path by the water was my favorite part about the park. There were palm trees and bamboo shoots and so many others kind of trees I had never seen before.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay monkeys! i am guessing you aren't allowed to try and get one as a pet though, which is sad.

also where are the pictures of the banana trees you said you would post?

Tiffany said...

I'll post them soon I promise. I should probably go out and take a picture since they are probably bigger now.