Friday, October 24, 2008

rikshaws and new friends

This has been a laid back week. Last weekend I was feeling ill so I didn't do anything exciting. However, once I started feeling better I was able to have a full week. Although I have no pictures today, I do have a couple of fun stories.

I finally contacted the person who runs the slum school that Cindy and I visited about a month ago and I told her I could come in on Mondays and Wednesdays. Our driver ended up being sick with a cold, so the man who took me to the school didn't know where we were going. Now, I have a fairly good sense of direction, but there are no road labels unless it is a very main road. So, we found the area that we were supposed to turn off the road at, but we had about 5 alleys to choose from. I called up the number again and the lady told me she would come and meet me. She (Hannah) pulled up with her scooter about five minutes later and we arrived at the school shortly after that. The kids were finishing up their playtime and as they filed into the main room and sat down, Hannah told me all their names. I hope I will be able to remember them all. She also told me not to be disappointed or alarmed if they do not willingly come up to me, most are afraid of foreigners. Honestly, I was totally okay with that. I would have been a bit freaked out myself if 20 or 30 3-7 year olds suddenly flocked to me. They sang some songs, which were completely new to me. Maybe I knew them once when I was little, but not even one was vaguely familiar. I like learning new things. After the song and a review of the date and alphabet, the kids were split into two groups. I went with Hannah's group. Before the session started, it was potty time! I did not realize that this meant that all of the little kids were going to pull of their pants and then wait in line to use the toilet. I will be prepared next time for the onslaught of bare bottoms. That was definitely not what I was expecting. Anywho.. we sang some more songs, and as I sat with the kids, about four girls made their way over to me and were vying over the space surrounding me. None sat in my lap, but they were as close as they could be to me without being on top of me. And they are afraid of foreigners? I helped them learn how to write the first four letters of the alphabet and then it was lunch time! When the kids had their fill of the food, we put them in front of a movie until their parents showed up. Once the kids had left, I met with the two teachers and another volunteer who had also just begun to help out at the school that day. We talked about ourselves and about the school. Overall, it was a really good experience and I'm glad I said 'yes' to helping out.

I was to tutor Lakshmi that afternoon at the orphanage which wasn't too far from the school, so my plan was to take an auto rikshaw after walking up to the main road. Well, Hannah offered to give me a lift on her scooter up to the road which was so fun! After being on one, I can totally see how a family of four can fit on the seat of one of those, provided it's one of the larger ones.. and the children are small. She dropped me off at the road and I decided that since it wasn't raining, I would walk to the Coffee Day at the next major intersection. I needed a bite of food and coffee sounded really good. After ten minutes I was sitting down at a small table and pulling out my book after placing my order. Now, being used to Starbucks' timely service, I tend to forget that in India it can take almost 15 minutes to get a drink, possibly longer, and I had about 30 minutes before I had to be at the orphanage, so I hoped they would be a bit quicker this time. Nope. If anything it took looooooonger. A quickly finished my coffee and walked briskly to the nearest auto driver. I told him where I needed to go knowing full well how much it would cost for the 5-10 minute ride and exactly how to get there in case he needed directions, but he needed to ask his friend about 80 feet road. That's what I assume he was asking about. He told me 40 rupees and I told him I wanted him to use the meter. Why would I pay 40 rupees for a ride that should cost 10-15? I knew it's basically pennies.. but still. I didn't have exact change on me and I didn't feel like paying extra. He told me again 40 rupees, I said fine, I'll walk. I walked away half expecting him to change his mind, I mean, who turns down business? But he didn't, so I walked. It was a good walk. I didn't even have anyone ask me for money the whole trip to the orphanage, it was fantastic! I think in the future I just won't bother with the auto drivers on those days. I've walked once and unless it's pouring down rain, I wouldn't mind the exercise.

Thursday night Cindy and I went to the YWAM service which was rather short but there were a lot of people there. We saw some friends and while we were waiting for our driver to pick us up we started talking to a group of girls. I met Marina and Linda. Marina is from Manipur and wants me to come visit her home when she goes back in March. They asked for my phone number and told me about all the people they knew in the US.. apparently there is an old man from Ohio living with them. They said that they really want to be friends with me and they're definitely looking forward to hanging out with me again. And...while I was talking to them, Linda's brother interrupted so he could meet me. His second question was 'how old are you?' Followed by 'can I have your phone number?' Shortly after that he said that he wanted to hang out with me and he wanted me to meet his family... He just talked to my mother, who I quickly informed him was not my mother which embarrassed him and I told him that I would have to think about hanging out with him. I don't think I should give him the wrong idea and start hanging out with his family. I would much rather hang out with his sister and cousin and tell myself that I was imagining whatever it was that I read into that conversation. Anyway, I am looking forward to spending time with my new friends.

This weekend the parents are out of town so Katrina and I are on our own. We're heading into the city tomorrow to go shopping! I'm really excited.. I haven't been shopping yet and I've been wanting to go.. even if I don't buy anything.

No comments: