Friday, October 3, 2008

Nandhi Hills

This is mostly a pictures post. I went to the Nandhi Hills last Saturday and took a few. There were a lot of monkeys! I took lots of pictures of them. It was so fun to be able to get close to them, like at the zoo, but without the cage getting in the way of the view.. Although, when one of them started to come toward me I went around him as quickly as possible. I hear they bite. That's not something I want to let happen. My pictures of them are at the end because I posted so many. I didn't want their cuteness to take away from the rest of the post. However, the very last picture is my favorite.

Apparently there used to be an old British Fort on the Hills. These pictures are from that part of the area. You can see part of the wall is still there, hidden by the foliage. It was quite beautiful. I'm in one of the pictures. I was trying to sit properly there, but if I scooted back to be more comfortable I would not be here to write this as I would have fallen a few thousand feet. Yeah, perhaps not my brightest idea yet, but I tried to be careful.



Here is the place where mosquitoes are bred. There were a few water areas like this. Cindy and I weren't quite sure what their purpose could be other than to populate the area with blood-thirsty insects. Although, this one looked pretty from far away.

Monkeys aren't the only animals to be seen on the Hills. In this first picture there are some adorable puppies, strays. Their mother is trotting off, no doubt looking for more food for them. She just dropped something off that they are devouring eagerly. There were quite a few strays on the Hills. Because the Nandhi Hills are such a popular resident and tourist place, the animals are sure to have plenty to eat. The second picture is of a cow. Yes, he is hiding in the bushes chomping on grass. He's not a wild animal. I'm not sure who he belongs to, but he did have a rope tied to him and there are plenty of people that do live up on the hill there. I tried to get a better picture of him when he was blocking the path by the wall, but he relieved himself as I got closer so I decided that I should just move along in the opposite direction.

I thought the view was quite lovely from the top. It's 1,000 steps up to the top, so it was a bit of a trek, but that didn't take too long. King Tipu lived in these hills while he was hiding for awhile. From one of the locations that I took a pictures he used to have criminals thrown off. It's called "Tipu Drop". I looked over the edge in some places, but I never did see a spot where, if thrown, someone would actually die, so I'm not too sure where it was exactly. I saw a sign pointing toward this famed location, but there was no sign at it, so there's no way for me to be sure.





Monkeys!




This little guy was watching all the kids playing in the park at the top. He was just curious. I thought it would be adorable if he actually went down the slide, but he didn't. I think it's a good one to end with.

No comments: