Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mysore summers

OK, so I know, it's been way to long since I updated. Almost two months? Really? I apologize. It has been busy here and I don't often have access to the Internet.

It's beautiful here! The evenings are my favorite time. The thunderclouds roll in and put on quite the show. Bolts of lightning flash from one cloud to the next and it continues to put me in a state of awe. It's wonderful! My favorite part is the rain that follows. The wind and the rain cool off the 105F temperatures from the day making the nights pleasant. Actually, I've been waking up cold as I keep the fan on while I'm sleeping. I actually don't mind that too much. It's much better than waking up sweating, which is what was happening a month ago.

At the beginning of the month I went to visit Bangalore and was able to see the kids at Vathsalya, which was delightful!


Last weekend I went out with some of my students to Planet X. We went bowling and go karting.. and, through playing air hockey, learned the competitive side of one of them is far different from his normal disposition!

About a month ago, before school let out for the summer, some of the kids that attend here were practicing the art style that is seen at the doorstep of most, if not all, Hindu homes. I snapped a couple pictures.


And, as promised awhile ago, here is a photo of me, with my friend Shashi, in authentic Indian garb, eating authentic Indian grub! And a photo with my friend Phoebe and her brother.

Karla and I had the wonderful pleasure, or so we thought, of attending a free concert of a few members from the Vienna Symphony Orchestra. We were delighted to go, but when we left we both felt ashamed of the Indian culture's lack of respect toward such well-known people. Going to see the symphony in America is a special occasion, one dresses nicely and remains quiet while the performance is going on. Here, people came in jeans and constantly came in and out of the room, noisily slamming the door behind them. At times it was difficult to hear the performance over the voices of the people around us. How appalling! Another example, this is the stage and setup before the concert began. Please, answer me this if you can: How many men does it take to hang up a sign?


5 comments:

Lisa Jennings said...

So great to hear your updates Tiffany! I can't believe it has been eight months already!? It's wonderful to hear all about your teaching and the people you are meeting - what a blessing!! God is continuing to use you there in all your adventures :) In our Bible study this week we are looking at our spiritual gifts, and where God is leading us to use them. I think of you and your teaching and how you have grown in your gift of teaching as God has lead you to these opportunities which he knew all along and planned for you. "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10 What a joy to witness! Praying for you my friend ~ hugs!

Phil Schwartz said...

Hey--

I'm sorry if this is weird, but I came across a post you made on Dave's ESL Cafe about volunteering in India, and I found your blog through there. I'm really interested in finding a place to work/volunteer in India and you sounded like you were enjoying it. If you can give me any information/advice on your situation, or talk to me through email that would be awesome. My girlfriend and I just graduated and are looking to spend a year or two overseas. My email is pschwart@uvm.edu. Please get back to me when you get a chance! Thanks :)

Nellie said...

Hi!

You don't know me, but my name is Nellie, and I found your blog by an all-too-difficult-to-explain combination of Google and ESL sites. Anyway, I'm a recent college grad who has always been interested in teaching English in India, and I'm quite interested in the situation you've found. Do you know if the organization requires any more teachers this fall? Is it affiliated with a church?

Anyway, I know you're very busy and have limited internet access, but I'd love to discuss your experiences in India/any advice you might have. (My email is aldarie @ gmail. com -- I can also send you the link to my Facebook page if you'd like to verify that I'm not a weirdo...) However, if you don't have the time or the inclination, I completely understand. In either case, God bless; it looks like you're doing some much-needed work out there. Thanks!

Majid Ghorbani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Majid Ghorbani said...

Hi
Hope you are doing well,
This is Majid, My wife and I living in Mysore and we are looking for Hope Center (Your English Classes).
Could you plz give us the correct address to below e-mail,
(mba876@gmail.com).
We really appreciate you for kindness - In advance.